Monday, August 23, 2010

MOMENT OF SILENCE

Today is Orientation Day at the two-year college where I taught from 1976 through 2009 B.R. (Before Retirement). Classes start tomorrow.

I had trouble sleeping last night, probably a leftover from those 32 years of tossing and turning the night before the students arrived. I did, however, skip the chronic dream where I am running from classroom to classroom in my pajamas, looking for the students I’m supposed to teach. Thank goodness for that.

I wonder if there will ever come a time when I am not very aware of school starting in the fall. Part of me is relieved that I no longer have that weighty responsibility. But part of me has a little nostalgic envy for my fellow teachers who are still in the trenches: meeting the new students, preparing for the new classes, challenged by new technology.

All I know is that I respect and admire all the teachers who do this very tough but rewarding job every day. Have a good school year!

2 comments:

bd said...

Before you get TOO nostalgic with your rose colored glasses...check the weather report-teacher Judy was also trying to figure out what to wear on this first day of classes- making a good first impression in high temps and humidity. Reason #423 you are celebrating your retirement on the patio with a cool glass of juice/ice tea and good book this AM. Less stress is good.

2to4aday said...

BD: I did manage to put away my rose-colored glasses and remember how much I hated to grade papers. But I still think that teaching was a darn fine way to spend 32 years of my life. I don't regret it a bit! But less stress is wonderful . . . :)