Saturday, September 19, 2009

DUCK!

This morning, I stepped outside onto my deck at about 7:15 a.m. to check out the weather. Boom! Boom! Boom!

I dove back in the house to take cover under the dining room table. My neighborhood isn’t exactly South Los Angeles, so the gunshots took me by surprise.

When I finally realized that nobody was shooting at me personally, I tried to figure out what was going on.

Aha! Hunting season!?! Already? I thought duck hunting season didn’t start until October.

A quick check of the internet shows that today is Youth Waterfowl Hunting Day when hunters age 15 and younger may hunt from one-half hour before sunrise to 4 p.m. if accompanied by an adult.

Adult mentors are not allowed to carry firearms. Just the 5- to 15-year-old kids are armed. Why don’t I find that comforting?

So in case any youthful hunters are reading this right now, remember that a duck looks like this:



And an old lady looks like this:


I would appreciate it if you took the time to notice the difference before pulling the trigger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice picture of you. I didn't know you had taken up smoking cigars again after you quit the first time. tee hee