Monday, September 14, 2009

MONDAY MORNING WALK

It’s Monday morning in September, and there’s a part of me that feels antsy. Aren’t I supposed to be somewhere doing something? Like at work—teaching? Then the anxiety evaporates and I remember that the only place I’m supposed to be this morning is out walking my two- to four-miles a day. Heaven.

This morning, I just grabbed my camera and walked around my neighborhood. I never got more than six blocks from my house as I wandered up and down the hills, past the abandoned gravel pit, down by the lake, through the neighborhood park, and in and out the cul-de-sacs and winding streets. It reminds me why I started walking in the first place, way back in February of 2000.

I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk. ~Raymond Inmon


A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I dream of hiking into my old age. ~Marlyn Doan

Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it. ~Soren Kierkegaard

We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down. ~Robert Sweetgall

If you pick 'em up, O Lord, I'll put 'em down. ~Author Unknown, "Prayer of the Tired Walker"

Walking is good for solving problems - it's like the feet are little psychiatrists. ~Pepper Giardino

If I could not walk far and fast, I think I should just explode and perish. ~Charles Dickens

Walking takes longer... than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed. ~Edward Abbey, "Walking"

Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance. ~Author Unknown

My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-three today and we don't know where the hell she is. ~Ellen DeGeneres

If you can’t find me at home, I hope I’m out for a walk. ~ 2to4aDay

7 comments:

bd said...

Ah, Minnesota in the fall. You are an inspiration:-) Explore Minnesota publishers should be calling...

2to4aday said...

BD: Sometimes I can't believe how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful corner of the world. And I really never was more than a half mile from my house. (If you talk to the Explore Minnesota people, you can give them my phone number. It's in the phone book.) :)

j9 said...

Mom, I love you. Thank you for being a wonderful person. You weren't in a single picture, but your presence was in every one of them.

2to4aday said...

Awww, J9 . . . you say the nicest things. Thank you!

Elaine said...

Ahhh, Minnesota! There is no place more beautiful!

2to4aday said...

This time of the year, I would have to agree. September and October are my most-est favorite-est months of the year. Check with me to see how I feel about Minnesota next January or so. :)

Becca - Our Crazy Boys said...

Ahhh.. you made me homesick for upstate NY. I am so jealous that you get to see those beautiful colors everyday. Here in the desert, we see green, brown, and the occasional black spider :-(