Wednesday, May 07, 2008

NEW PASSWORD

We just got the word at work that before May 16, we will need to reset a new password (under Policy No. v1 6 0421108, Password Usage & Handling Guidelines).

I was about to pull out my old faithful password “DaffyDuck,” when I noticed that the new policy even had Subparts A, B, C, D, and E. Something told me that “DaffyDuck” wasn’t going to cut it anymore.

Sure enough, I now have to have a password with a minimum of eight characters and “must include a minimum combination of two character types and should include a combination of 3 character types such as: numbers, special characters, and lower and upper case letters.” Honestly—word for word from Subpart B.

Not only that, but every 180 days, I have to think of a new combination of a minimum of eight characters which must include a minimum combination of two character types , etc., etc., etc. If you don’t believe me, just read Subpart C.

At the suggestion of a co-worker, I finally thought of a new password that might fit their requirements:


Then after 180 days, as directed, I will change the password to:

Subpart D explains that if I don’t type the password in correctly in three tries, I will be locked out because of a password failure and either need to wait 15 minutes to attempt again or have my account “administratively reset.”

I suspect I will get to know my administrative account resetter on a first-name basis.

No comments: